Orange is the New Green Smoothie

Orange, Peach, Carrot & Banana Smoothie


It’s beginning to look a lot like ... orange season! Finally, the fruits on our orange tree, which I dutifully water every other night, are beginning to ripen. Since we’re about to have a surplus of oranges on our hands, I’ve started to plan all of the ways we can put this fruit to use. For starters, a pinch of fresh orange zest tastes delicious in these cookies.

For breakfast, Nick and I are all about green smoothies, but considering the orange situation, I spent the weekend experimenting with citrus-based blends. The results were delicious. This combination of oranges, carrots, peaches, banana and ginger tastes like a tangy Creamsicle, but instead of artificial junk, it’s full of vitamins A and C. Another benefit? It’s orange! If you’re freaked out by green drinks—I’m looking at you, Dad—you can sip to your health in another hue.

Orange, Peach, Carrot & Banana Smoothie
Serves 2

Ingredients
1 cup water
2 large oranges, peeled and halved
1 banana
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 thin slice of fresh ginger
1/2 cup frozen peaches

Place all ingredients in a blender in the order listed and blend until smooth. We recently splurged on an all-powerful Vitamix, which blends this up beautifully, but a regular blender should work, too.

Next up, orange sorbet!

6 comments:

  1. Marmalade is a good way to get rid of oranges too. Makes a great hostess gift! Used to do it with the oranges from my backyard when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got sprayed with some orange juice today! It's on my white silk shirt thanks to me munching on oranges during a meeting. I should eat my oranges in smoothie form. The ginger sounds like a nice touch and much easier to consume! xoxo, BA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, your poor shirt! Yes, smoothie form with a straw will help reduce your dry cleaning bill ;)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious, can't wait to try it. We need a blogger brunch stat! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember how bad I used to feel before adding green drinks in my diet. I had undeniably let my health slip and my daily carbs definitely got the best of me.

    ReplyDelete