A Man's POV: Lululemon

My husband Nick knows a lot about fitness. He only knows a little bit about fashion. Here, he shares his thoughts on both. (As evidenced by this picture, he does not actually practice yoga, but his workout attire might suggest otherwise.)

His and hers Lululemon

My least favorite word is Lululemon. All of my favorite clothes are from Lululemon.

Except for this.

Because I hate money, Julia and I used to have a membership at the swanky, spa-bathroomed gym chain Equinox. In the Marine Corps, we exercised with crates of used ammunition in caves we stole from Al Qaeda so when I saw a gym with a functioning shower and seven on-duty masseuses, I had a moment of weakness. 

On my first day, I showed up ready to do fitness but it wasn't until I was standing in the locker room (or was it an Enya music video?) in my underpants that I realized I had forgotten my shorts at home. Redressed, I found the "boutique" (of course) in between the front desk and the espresso bar and picked out the most un-neon shorts I could find in five seconds. The cashier politely said, "Did you find everything alright? Greaaaat, that'll be $140." 

First thought: "That's hilarious, but I'm kinda running late sooooo..." 
Second thought: "You're not kidding. How dare you. (Profanity x 10)." 
Third and final thought: "Sweet mother of life these feel like heavenly clouds across my loins." 

I looked around to make sure I didn't see anyone who would tell my friends they saw me wearing my new yoga chick uniform and commenced a life-changing Crossfit workout. 

Lululemon has solved the decades-old dilemma of: how do I look and feel good while working out without sacrificing functionality for style? 

I judge the SHIT out of people in the gym. If you show up with a priority higher than exercise, it's safe to say we've been enemies. The problem is that we live in a society and, frankly, it's polite to look good. However, until recently, there hasn't been a fair balance between functional athletic clothing and style. Five years ago, if you were working out properly, you had to change clothes ten times before you could reemerge in public to buy groceries. But, if you had style, you couldn't Jazzercise for five minutes without toppling over in a mess of stilettos and hairspray. 

The Call On Me video changed all that. Whoops. Lululemon changed all that. Sure, the clothes are pricey but that's because capitalism rules and they're worth it. Before that fateful day at Equinox, if you had told me I'd own eight articles of clothing from Lululemon, I would've admitted to being a MILF. But now, I'm openly, proudly, and literally doing laundry right now so I can wear my favorite shorts again tomorrow. 

My lovely Julia wears 100% Lulu to the gym and it's one of the main reasons why we have a happy marriage. Those black yoga pants and brightly colored tops are super hot. I also know that a Lulu-clad Julia is feeling as posh as she is sporty, which gives her the confidence to venture into the "boy section" (her words) of the gym and squat her weight without flirting with a wardrobe malfunction. 

I'm glad the trend has caught on. Every time I see a girl sporting the Lululemon logo (what is that thing? A mustache?) at the gym I think, "Wow, that girl has perfect taste." Whenever I see a man in Lululemon I want to go give him some kind of a secret handshake I haven't invented yet that says, "Pssst! Me too! We're awesome. Let's be friends?" But, you know, "guy code" and all. 

So, whether you are a guy, girl, runner, cyclist, yogi, Crossfitter, power walker, or power lifter, you now have the most no-brainer, no-worry choice in the world when it comes time to suit up for the gym and beyond. It's the best outfit that you'll love to sweat all over. If you or the man in your life has gone Lulu, let me know so I can give you a virtual secret handshake.


Follow Once Upon a Blog

21 comments:

  1. Cool post! I love it:)

    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This MADE my morning! My boyfriend is a trainer/gym owner and the first time I dragged him to Lulu it played out very similarly! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! Love this post!
    xx
    http://thescreensiren.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading this to John this morning- had us both laughing! Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. Unfortunately these clothes are like velcro for Daphne hair. I'm sure you can relate.

      Delete
    2. Lynn, do you recognize the apartment gym in this picture? We got some very strange looks from the neighbors while snapping this!

      Delete
  5. These posts are hilarious! The Banker needs to give Nick a virtual hug. Can they do that or is there guy code against such displays of understanding and affection?
    xoxo, BA
    www.bethanimalprint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Guy code has really gone out the window at this point. All in the name of comfort and functionality. It's an evolution. Handshake, high five, fist bump, bro hug, Lululemon patty cake or something.

      Delete
  6. love this! Mar has one pair of Lulu shorts. They are his favs. Ill make sure he sees this.
    And I love Julia venturing to the 'boys area' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Marlin rocks Lulu shorts! The boys' area can be a very scary place. Too much grunting, not enough Lulu!

      Delete
  7. Hahaha...I LOVE his posts and I think it's absolutely adorable and endearing that he contributes to your blog.

    I'm a Lulu girl myself. Working on getting the bf on the bandwagon. ;)

    xx,
    Alex
    www.sfshopgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! Good luck getting the bf on board! You could try gifting him some Lulu for his next birthday or "just because." He'll be hooked! xo

      Delete
  8. Wow, I am cooler and more fit that I thought. i have more lululemon than nick. i love lululemom. (Julia's dad)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a nice and a productive information that you have shared about fitness.I love your work.
    http://www.apparelnbags.com/athleticwear-athletic-shorts.htm

    ReplyDelete
  10. How freaking awesome! I'm a little jealous now

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nailed it! I am always hesitant to say what I am wearing when asked, but inevitably I suck it up and mumble Lululemon. As a basketball player, I realized really quickly that basketball shorts suck when trying to CrossFit. I now do my wods in only Lululemon and it really makes a difference. Oh yeah, and my wife is all clad in it as well. Keep on preaching and let me know when you want to develop that secret handshake. I'd totally be down to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I ventured into a Lululemon just recently and walked out with a pair of the men's shorts. I knew they were going to be his when he came out of the dressing room and squatted for me saying, "these are amazing!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm glad someone is laughing at it! Thanks, Rachel! :)

      Delete