Knotting 101: How to Tie a Head Scarf

How to Tie a Head Scarf
We all have a few things in our closets that, truth be told, we don’t really know how to wear, right? For me, it’s scarves. Well, more specifically, silk ones. To help with my scarf situation, my perpetually chic mother-in-law gave me a deck of cards by Hermès that shows you dozens of ways to tie one on (dress! turban! sling for your broken arm!). But even with these handy illustrated cards, I’ve still been scarf shy. I’m pretty sure I don’t have the je ne sais quoi required to pull off most of these cool French-girl looks. But I became hopeful when I opened a recent issue of Allure and saw a silky Louis Vuitton scarf paired with two things I most definitely have: a fatigue jacket and messy hair. Here’s the inspiration picture, a similar scarf of my own, and my knotting-101 cards.

Knotting 101: How to Tie a Head Scarf


I tried to recreate the look shown above for a casual Sunday dinner date with Nick. First, I folded the scarf into the pli de base, shown below on the left, and tied my hair into a messy bun. Then I followed the instructions shown below on the right, except I wrapped the scarf around the nape of my neck before tying it at the top and tucked in the ends.

Hermes Knotting Cards: Turban Plisse


I was afraid Nick would think it looked silly, but he thought it was really cute (although this could’ve just been the novelty effect, like that time I got bangs—admittedly not my best look—and he couldn’t stop smiling and calling me new wife!). Regardless, it’d been raining almost all weekend (cue the frizz), so this scarf-turned-headband also helped hide a bad-hair day.

Louis Vuitton silk scarf worn as a headband

Louis Vuitton silk scarf + fatigue jacket

Weekend style: head scarf, fatigue jacket, jeans & ankle booties

Elbow-patch sweater + head scarf
Now that I’ve learned to tie at least one knot, I think I’ll keep experimenting. According to my cards, this same silk square could also be a halter top, so stay tuned!

Louis Vuitton scarf and bag. Lily Aldridge for Velvet fatigue jacket at Shopbop and Bloomingdales. Gap sweater (similar elbow-patch style on sale at J. Crew). Citizens of Humanity jeans (same cut, different wash). Latigo booties (sold-out online but found mine in-store, plus a similar option). Valentino sunglasses. BaubleBar bar pendant. David Yurman bracelet. Michele watch.

10 comments:

  1. Ooooo, I LOVE this! Just saw one of my favorite beauty bloggers with a scarf tied around her head (in front of the Eiffel Tower, no less) and am now determined to grow out my hair so I can put it in a messy knot with a cool scarf! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! There's no need to wait until you can make a messy knot—it looks really cute with hair down, too! Also, these pictures would be way cooler with the Eiffel Tower in the background. xo

      Delete
  2. I have those cards and tons of scarves, too! I have actually work a scarf at a halter top, I've also made one into a little purse when traveling, you can easily wear a really big one as a swim suit cover up tied around your hips or even criss crossed around your neck! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made the halter top and the purse?! That's awesome! I love the idea of using the scarf as a swimsuit cover-up. Great suggestion! I'm going to remember that one come summertime. Thanks, Tori! xo

      Delete
  3. I love this look on you! Perfect for a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have exactly the same problem with my LV bandeaux, so I am stealing this look =) It looks super cute on you, I hope I can pull it off as well =)

    xo,
    Sylvia @ WorldTasting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylvia! You can totally pull it off! Be sure to share pictures! :)

      Delete
  5. You've totally inspired my next "2nd day hair" look... totally perking it up with a fresh and sophisticated knotted scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to perk up third (and fourth and fifth) day hair, too! ;)

      Delete