Interview Prep: What to Wear




Job interviews are downright nerve-racking. How you dress for the occasion often depends on the industry you’re in, but one thing is always certain: the last thing you want to be worrying about is your outfit.

I recently interviewed at Facebook. Here in the Bay Area, it’s common to skip the suit in favor of more casual attire. How casual? A friend wore jeans while interviewing with a Silicon Valley tech giant and got the job. No matter what, you should pick something that makes you feel comfortable and confident. For me, that’s smart staples like my cropped black pants, a crisp white shirt, relaxed blazer, and simple jewelry.

I tried everything on a few days before the interview to check for wrinkles, then moved these pieces to the front of my closet so that on the day of, getting dressed would be a no-brainer. Since I’m a little out of practice walking in heels, I gave myself one less thing to stress about and put on a trusty pair of flats. I was still nervous—no outfit can cure that—but prepared both mentally and physically.

Now comes the fun part: deciding what to wear for my first day on the job.

Follow Once Upon a Blog

11 comments:

  1. I love the laid-back look you styled for your interview! You obviously made a fantastic first impression since they hired you! Can't wait to see what you wear for your first day! Xoxo, BA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BA! I can now report that they give you a hoodie on your first day. True story.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new job! =) As always, loving a style that says 'i am both smart and good-looking'! Good luck with the first working day!

    xo,
    Sylvia @ WorldTasting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I know a family friend who also made the hop from Google to Facebook. Your style is so on-point and you're smart too which is part of why I love your blog. It's well-written, interesting, and real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, your comment totally made my day :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Julia, so proud/excited for you, and I can't wait to hear ALL about the new gig! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rebecca! Let's do lunch at Facebook! xo

      Delete
  5. Found your blog on popsugar select. This is such a great post! It's always hard making sure you picked the right outfit for an interview. This is such a polished and professional look. I love the flats!! I also love how simple the jewelry is. Very tasteful. That's really exciting about Facebook. I'm from Seattle, but have a few friends who moved down to California to work for Facebook and they absolutely love it! I'm also a popsugar select blogger and would love if you checked out my blog : )

    xox,
    anna-lamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm new to popsugar and so glad you found me there. It's great to hear that your friends are loving Facebook! You should visit them for a campus tour (read: amazing food). Can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! That's wonderful news! Hope you're enjoying Facebook. Love the outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete