I'm Feeling Lucky

The Googleplex
For the last two years, I’ve been lucky to have a desk at Google, a workplace that's inspirational in every possible way. While I knew there'd be bikes and bean bag chairs and sushi and sweets (both edible and Androidian), when it came to the anything-goes dress code, I wasn't sure what to expect. In an industry stereotyped by dudes in jeans and sweatshirts, what would the women be wearing?

As the New York Times reported last year, many Silicon Valley women are embracing fashion. My manager Steevy, whose boot collection has been a constant source of shoe envy, told Ruelala, “I think dressing in a way that’s authentic to you is right on par with Google’s philosophy. The culture encourages everyone to embrace their core values and style. Yes, this can mean a lot of hoodies, but I haven’t found Silicon Valley to be simply a sea of sneakers and sweatshirts, especially not for those in roles where unexpected events could pop up. On any given day, I’ll see Burberry trenches alongside Patagonia fleeces and Balenciaga bags next to Google backpacks. It’s true that fashion here is all about projecting confidence in your own way. For some, this is four-inch heels. For others, it’s a grey hoodie. It might even be the two together.”

Seeing how other women dress when not constrained by a dress code has been one of my favorite parts of life at Google. I quickly adopted a uniform of jeans and flats—pedaling in stilettos is not in my skill set—but met many women in the four-inch heels camp, including a few who bring their personal style well beyond the Googleplex by blogging their workwear.

Krystal Bick of This Time Tomorrow


Bethann of Bethanimalprint, Adelle of The Fashionista Lab




Lindsey of Complacency Kills, Meghan of Voila


Top: Krystal of This Time Tomorrow. Middle: Bethann of Bethanimalprint, Adelle of The Fashionista Lab. Bottom: Lindsey of Complacency Kills, Meghan of Voila.

These gals inspired me to not only join the blogosphere but also to be more creative when getting dressed in the morning. Though I'm still partial to jeans—and guilty of staying in my Lululemon long after a lunchtime workout—I'll occasionally throw a skirt into the mix or dress up a sweater with a statement necklace.

There'll be a lot to miss about Google (see massage chairs), but thanks to these bloggers, I can keep tabs on the fashion scene from my new desk. Where am I off to? I'll save that for another post.

Luckily, I can still wear jeans.

Follow Once Upon a Blog


12 comments:

  1. I seriously almost cried when I read this post. I am so honored you consider me an inspiration of sorts. All of the ladies you featured are absolutely wonderful and I also feel so blessed to know and work with such fashionable and capable women!
    I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor, Julia! I can't wait to hear all about it over wine. xoxo, BA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an inspiration in so many ways! Let's have that wine date soon! xo

      Delete
  2. Aw, Julia! This is so sweet. I'm so glad we got to know each other while you were at Google. I'm so grateful that you messaged me for that first lunch :) I'm excited for you and your blog, and for your next tech adventure. I can't wait for that lunch ;) Keep in touch! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful that you responded to that first lunch invite :) Yes, we are going to have more lunches...let me know when you and the other gals want to take the conference bike up ;) xo!

      Delete
  3. LOVE THIS! Super nostalgia over here. Though I can only say that I tried to inspire you to wear a pant-skirt, and I don't know if it took! Can't wait to hear where you're off to next... xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, the pant-skirt is adorable and all, but really, you inspire me to become a better writer. Thank you! xo

      Delete
  4. Love this post! Such great inspirations and what an amazing place to work - Can't wait to see what your next adventure is! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caity! Can't wait to catch up with you soon! xo

      Delete
  5. Such a great post Julia! Like Caity said, I am excited to read on about your next adventure and hear where you'll be working. Hurry and write that post because the suspense is killing me!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for your new adventure! Would love to visit Google one day...

    Thankfifi
    thanks for your sweet comment on my post - we had so much fun taking the shot ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that you can bring Mr. K? Google is dog-friendly! :) Thanks so much for the best wishes! xo

      Delete